One of the biggest concerns any dog owner has is ensuring that their dog doesn’t eat things that they aren’t supposed to. What makes this harder is that a lot of the foods that we eat every day, while safe for humans are not ideal for your canine pal, or even dangerous.
While the list of what foods your dog can/can’t eat can vary slightly between breeds, the below list should be a guide for any dog.
Please don’t feel that this list is complete but a helpful guide to show you common foods, that you might find around your house, that your dog should absolutely not eat.
Foods to NEVER feed a Dog:
- Chocolate – the darker the chocolate the more dangerous! Bakers chocolate is the worst because it contains the highest amount of theobromine (also known as xantheose) and that ingredient is deadly to dogs.
- Coffee beans – not only coffee beans but anything with caffeine
- Alcohol – enough said!
- Grapes – experts say only in large quantities, but why risk it! Dogs do not need grapes. One time a grape rolled off the counter, and fell onto the floor. My French bulldog, Bardot, who will eat ANYTHING, would not eat the grape. Maybe she knew it was bad for her? Maybe not, but I thought it was cute.
- Raisins – who eats raisins anyway?
- Onions – onions can cause hemolytic anemia in our furry friends which is a potentially deadly autoimmune disorder. Symptoms of AIHA include fatigue, fever, depression, weakness and even seizures.
- Broccoli – in small amounts broccoli can be okay, but in large amounts it can cause gastrointestinal irritation.
- Garlic – can cause the same problems as onions.
- Castor beans – Luckily, I don’t think I have ever had a castor bean!
- Fruit pits and seeds – plum pits, peach pits, apple seeds and apricot seeds. Stone fruit pits in general do not seem to be safe.
- Sugarless candies – anything containing Xylitol . Xylitol can be found in candy and chewing gum. Only three grams of Xylitol can kill a 65 lb dog!
Harmful Plants – indoor and outdoor:
- Aloe Vera
- Asparagus fern
- Deadly nightshade
- Elephant’s ear
- Horse chestnut
- Japanese Yew
- Lilly of the valley
- Morning glory
- Skunk cabbage
- Tulip bulbs
- Virginia creeper
- Wild mushrooms
Common household items that can be deadly:
- Antifreeze – even very small amounts can be deadly!
- Any household cleansers or cleaners
- Toilet bowl cleaners
- Drain openers
- Rodent Poisons
- Ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, acetominophen, human antidepressants, multivitamins (especially with iron), supplements and antibiotics
- Motor Oil
- Transmission Fluid
This list is not definitive so be sure to keep your local poision control center’s telephone number handy at all times for emergencies!